If you like to eat like I do and you started exercising regularly, but you are not getting any results and wondering what are you doing wrong. In this article, you will find out what food you should eat that can help you lose weight.
Why is it important to eat healthy?
We all know that is important to eat healthy but few people know what exactly are benefits of eating healthy.
- Weight loss – That is obvious but just to tell you that if you are overweight, you have a higher risk of developing some conditions including: Poor bone density, some cancers, heart disease just to name a few.
- Manage diabetes – Healthful diet can help a person with diabetes to lose weight, manage blood glucose levels, keep blood pressure within target levels. People with diabetes need to limit their intake of foods with added sugar and salt.
- Stroke prevention – These foods contain a high level of vitamin E and this vitamin by some evidence may prevent blood clots which can lead to heart attacks: almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, green vegetables…
- Getting quality sleep – If you lack sleep that can lead to obesity because you want to make “quick snack” late at night.
Foods that can help you lose weight.
- Avocado – Everybody is crazy about avocado right now so let’s see why. This green superfood are loaded with healthy fats and also contain water and fiber that can help you lose weight. Try to add avocado to your diet.
- Salmon – This fish is a great source of high-quality protein and good fat. Vitamin D in a salmon can help lower risk of chronic disease. It also contains vitamin B6 that helps with stress regulation.
- Eggs – Eggs are very good source of high-quality protein and eating the high-protein breakfast helps you lose weight. Eggs are also very filling.
- Beans – Great source of fiber and protein. Overall beans can help you build lean body mass. If you are having difficulties tolerating legumes, you can see how to prepare them properly here.
- Nuts – Nuts contain a good amount of fiber, protein and healthy fats. Don’t eat too many nuts because they are high in calories but they can be great snacks.
- Yogurt – Full of probiotics and protein. Pay attention to what yogurt you choose because low-fat yogurt is usually full of sugar and you should avoid that. Try Greek yogurt for more protein, and if you want to sweeten your yogurt use fresh fruit.
- Fruits – They are high in fiber and antioxidants. Yes, they contain sugar, but you can include them in your diet, especially if you eat fresh fruit. Citrus fruit can help non-water drinkers to lose weight simply by adding lemon for example to your water.
- Oatmeal – Great source of fiber and protein and have less sugar than cereals. This is a very popular breakfast which results in greater fullness.
- Whole grains – This is a great source of heart-healthy fiber. Substitute refined grains with whole grains (quinoa, brown rice, wheat, barley, millet, farro…) Pay attention – refined grains are not a good choice for you and sometimes foods that have “whole grains” on the label are processed food that are fattening. Just one more thing if you are on a low-carb diet you should avoid whole grains because they are high in carbs.
- Chickpeas – They are filled with protein, fiber and immune-boosting antioxidants. You can eat them in hummus form but also you can roast them in the oven and eat them like crunchy snack.
- Peanut butter – You are so happy when you read this aren’t you? Pay attention peanut butter contains 8 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber per serving, great for a snack. Yes, it also contains sugar, but you are not supposed to eat too much of it.
- Broccoli – When you are trying to lose weight, you should eat vegetables that are high in fiber and look no further than broccoli. It also contains vitamin C and calcium, and this is one food you can easily load your plate with.
- Sweet potato – Rich with vitamin A, protein and fiber. This vegetable you should seriously consider adding to your nutrition.
- Coffee – People who drink coffee have a higher metabolic rate by 16%. Remember, you can drink coffee but adding creams to sweeten your coffee is not good for weight loss.
- Leafy greens – Kale, Spinach, Cabbage and others are perfect for weight loss. With leafy greens, you can increase volume of meals. Rich with minerals, antioxidants and vitamins.
- Coconut oil – Great cooking companion as long you are not using it every day. You should switch between coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil and other cooking oils.
- Seeds – Rich with fiber and plant-based protein (especially pumpkin and sunflower seeds). Sesame seeds are also great, and you should consider tossing them in your salad.
- Green tea – You probably know about this. Rich with antioxidants and powerful nutrients. Drinking green tea is often linked with good health and weight loss.
- Water – Great when you want to improve your overall health. Water can also help with weight loss simply by drinking it before meals can decrease intake at meals. You can also add some citrus fruit to your water if you are non-water drinker.
- Dark chocolate – Yes, you read that right. Dark chocolate can help you with losing weight but don’t eat too much. When you are buying chocolate, you choose one with at least 70% cocoa because anything else is not good for weight loss.
Replace junk food with healthier choice
These foods can help you with weight loss. So if you are eating fast food very frequently think about slowly replacing with some of these foods and start living a healthier life. It’s really not that hard to eat healthy I bet you didn’t know that you can eat some of these foods and still lose weight.
If you have any advice, suggestions or questions about food you should eat and like to share with others, I would love to hear them down in the comments.