If you are a little overweight and want to get back in shape, but you don’t want to go to the gym for whatever reason. Don’t worry there is a lot of exercises for burning calories and weight loss which you can do and with appropriate eating can give amazing results.
(This post contains affiliate links – Read my full disclosure)
Importance of exercising regularly
Before we start with the exercises, let’s just take a moment to see the benefits of exercising regularly. Being active has many benefits for you both physically and mentally, so let’s just name a few.
- Exercising can help you prevent gaining weight because when you are inactive you are gaining weight
- It can improve your quality of sleep.
- It can reduce the risk of all kinds of diseases (chronic diseases, heart diseases…)
- Exercising can also boost your energy
- And maybe for men, the most important thing exercising can improve your sex life.
Exercises without equipment
Burpees – one of the most effective exercises for burning calories and weight loss because when you want to lose weight you need to activate as many muscles as you can and there is no better exercise for that than the burpee.
How to do a burpee – stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Start lowering your body until your hands rest on the floor also shoulder-width apart then kick your legs backward (push up position) and do push up then quickly reverse your movement and do the jump when you stand (maybe it seems complicated, but it really isn’t)
Mountain climber – start on your palms and toes (push up position or full plank position) move up your right leg toward your chest and then back to the floor then do the same with left leg. This exercise will help you burn a lot of calories.
Squats can also be a great exercise for weight loss if you do them correctly.
How to squats properly – stand with your feet hip-width apart and keep your weight on your heels, you can put your toes slightly outwards or parallel. Start lowering until your thighs are parallel with the floor.
Mistakes to avoid when doing squats:
- First, a most common mistake is bending the knees and instead of this you should try to “sit back” what I mean by this is to move your butt backward (try with the chair without sitting on it, just gently touch the seat of the chair)
- The next mistake is hunching your back, and this is easy to solve, instead of looking down you should look straight ahead, open your chest and put your hands in front of you and if your hands fall to your knees as you squat that means your back is not straight.
- The third mistake is lifting your heels off the floor as you squat. You should pay attention to this and if you can’t squat without lifting your heels and putting weights on your toes, take time to work on your mobility in ankles especially.
Exercises with equipment
Jump rope – This is a great way to burn a lot of calories, improve your health, improve your coordination and have fun. Everybody can do it and have benefited from it so it’s highly recommended.
Kettlebell swings – stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold the top of the kettlebell with both hands. Lower your body by bending your knees slightly and driving your hips back. Drive your hips forward and swing the kettlebell towards shoulder height.
Battle rope: Every exercise with battle rope is high intensity, and it’s very good for burning calories and building muscles.
Importance of good quality sleep and diet for weight loss
Good quality sleep is so much underestimated when it comes to weight loss. People who sleep poorly are having increased appetite and calorie intake. Lack of sleep makes you more stressed out and many people are eating when they are stressed (I was one of them).
If you don’t get enough sleep during the night, you are more likely to be tired during the day and less likely to exercise. Your muscles need time to repair, so if you lack sleep, you are more likely to get tired earlier during exercising or any other physical activity.
We all know diet is important when it comes to weight loss but sometimes it’s hard to stay consistent when you need to cut sugars and carbs that you like so much.
- Cut back on sugars and carbs – we all know that we have to do this but the execution of this is sometimes very hard. If you have a problem with this, I suggest doing it slowly over time or having one day to eat a little of sugar and carbs (cheat day)
- Eat more protein and vegetables – protein comes from different sources (meat, seafood, eggs)
- Meat – Pork, chicken, lamb, beef…
- Seafood, fish salmon, shrimp…
- Eggs – whole eggs with yolk, boiled eggs,
- vegetables with low-carbs – bell peppers, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, avocado, green beans, lettuce, kale…
If you love eating some of these vegetables good news for you because you can eat so much of this without worrying how much carbs you ate (you will not go over 50 carbs a day)
You can eat some fat because low-carb and low-fat diet at the same time is torture. Some fat sources are butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil.
One more thing that is recommended regarding weight loss is intermittent fasting.
This is a diet that has cycles between eating and fasting. There are various forms, but the one I see recommended the most is the 16/8 – you eat for 8 hours and fasting for 16 and this usually leads to weight loss (except if you eat so much food during that 8 hours).
Lose your weight with exercises and diet
These are just some exercises that should help you lose weight and get into shape. If you are just starting, take it slowly don’t push yourself too much, just stay consistent and you will see the results. If you have questions or some exercises that helped you and want to share with other people, I would like to hear them down in the comments.